Wednesday, June 17, 2009

We Have a Heading

"Your work is to discover your work, and then with all your heart, to give yourself to it." - Buddha

I'm a planner, plain and simple. I need a direction. A heading if you will. Without it, I am like a ship without sails nor anchor - adrift at sea going no where. I need that compass from Disney's Pirates of the Caribbean; the one that points to that which you want most.

If I've learned anything in this life it is that nobody should count on anyone else for assistance. That may sound jaded but hear me out. What I really mean is that each person must know what they are going after and then pursue it like a big cat on the African plain. When it comes to work most people are miserable at their job because it is not their passion. So I am combining mine, project management and fitness. I'm from a "pull yourself up from your own bootstraps" kind of family, so this move comes from the, "Get busy livin' or get busy dying" view of the world; a la Shawshank Redemption.

In a few days I will release a new website. The coaching business is somewhere I'm headed, ultimately, as a full time business/occupation. Being a coach for adult athletes is one thing that I've had some reasonable success with and something I really enjoy. Why not do it full time and work with a health club as well? That is what I am pursuing. My skill as a project and program manager is solid, so let's apply it to fitness and see what heights I can hit with the folks who entrust their fitness to me. You won't see this announcement on Xtri.com, Slowtwitch, or even Ironmanlive. I doubt most of the big coaching groups won't even notice. One day soon, I hope you will. You'll be at a race and see people racing under my program and with my jersey on. The one thing they may notice is my statement which I borrow from Lou Holtz, "Actually, all I ever wanted to be was the best in my field." That is pretty bold statement. There are a ton of great coaches out there. I'm not saying I want to be "the best", but I certainly want to be in the debate and team picture. I know that I prepare my athletes for the experience better than most coaches judging by what I hear from clients who have come from other coaches to me. This comes from my project management background as well as my SCUBA training. (Yes, really.)

In the meantime, I'll do some project management work in order to not lose our home. Ultimately, I'll be that full time coach. Who knows, if I continue to be unemployed, I may just be able to finish all of my certifications and just go straight into coaching. USAT is in July. USAC is going on now. ASCA is going on now.

Watch for my workout programs on Training Peaks.com.

I tell my athletes to "forget past times" and "predictors of performance" because they are now a different athlete once I take over their training. It is kind of the scientific method applied to training. "Had I known x, I would have done y." So when it comes to future races no one can predict to what heights you can soar, even you will not know until you spread your wings and try. The race day experience is a whole new world under "new management". A European philosopher once said, "Every time you step into a river, you step into a new river." Meaning you have more information, more feedback on the current, tempeture of the water, depth, the river bed material, animal life, etc.. Racing is a bit like that too. You may have been in that same "river" but each experience is a little different.

It's on.

2 comments:

  1. Hey bob, I have a question for you. I'm at the point where I'm thinking about getting a coach. There are so many out there. Do you think it's important that the person I choose be a top level triathlete? I guess what I mean is, should that person be 'walking the talk'?

    ReplyDelete