Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Helping Others

What can you do? Well, this week I interviewed 27 times. Hoo-ray me. What I'm more proud of is that I passed on referrals to six people and all of those folks are in their second interview for those positions and things look good. Typing this, I just passed on another name. That makes seven.

One of my toughest former managers and I sat down and talked. She gave me some great feedback and constructive criticism. I really appreciate the honesty and I wish more people would be honest. We could cut the crap and get down to it.

In her words, "You're not good, you're great at what you do. You need to toot your own horn a lot more and stop being so f*cking humble." (Did I mention she was in the Army/CIA for 20 years?) She tells it like it is. I love working for her. I always know where I stand. Once I made a mistake rushing to put together a proposal. All the numbers were there but the comma was off one zero. Her feedback? "You did an exceptional presentation except for that f*ck up with the comma. If you ever do that again, your fired. Nice work on everything else. Are we clear?"

Crystal.

6 comments:

  1. Haha, love her comment. Having a great boss who *communicates* how you are doing spoils you for working for anyone else; I don't have to spend my day ever wondering where I stand because it's clear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get work with her again. Love working with her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob, from everything I'm reading, there is no way you should be unemployed. Your former bosses love you and CIO's rave about your work. Am I missing something here?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bob, do you have a dedicated website for your coaching business?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob, are you still marshalling this weekend? If so, let me know so I can say hi if I'm out on the course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob any thoughts on going back to Kona to race the world championships again?

    ReplyDelete