Thursday, May 28, 2009

Choices: Every Day is a New Day

As an athlete and a human being I think it is good to have a "short" memory about a lot of things. It usually takes me a good night's rest to move on from something that was bugging me. In athletics it also applies.

I have one athlete I work with who has a very LONG memory when a workout goes well or poorly. As an actor friend of mine said, "Yesterday is history. Tomorrow a mystery. That's why they call today the present." I like it a lot. Forget the "bad" workout as soon as possible. As I told this athlete, "Why did you think that workout was bad? Did you understand my expectations for this workout?" When I explain that I was looking for heart rates, splits, MPH, RPMs and wattage, etc. and my athlete hit them all; I explain that I am actually quite happy about the workout. Even if it "felt" awful - feeling awful is part of training. You aren't going to feel sprite every day. Gosh, I hope not. My athletes should feel a bit tired until we get to their A race.

Nailing a workout isn't necessarily feeling great while doing it.

Another great athlete I work with will relive a great workout for months unless I re-focus them on today. I have to admit that is a lot harder to leave the great workouts "in the bank" and focus on suffering today.

Each workout is ONE opportunity for greatness. The workout itself should be graded as just that - ONE workout. Don't get too excited or down from the experience.

One mile at a time. One workout at a time. We become great as a collection of these come together as a whole.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bob, how many people are you coaching these days? Is it expensive? How do I know if I need a coach?

    Thanks!

    Chris Barnes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris -

    I am coaching six people right now. I charge $120/month with no minimum or sign up fee. For that, you get unlimited access to me - phone, email, text, etc. I offer a 50% discount for active military and a 20% discount for retired military or students. Going rate is $240 to $360/month depending on where you live in the globe, more if you are working with a world champion.

    How do you know if you need a coach? Good question. For me, I got a coach when I felt my circle of friends and workout partners could no longer give me the insight in athletic challenges I face daily. Then I found a coach who I thought could help me.

    My advice is to contact three coaches and see what they offer. Talk to them about their personality and how they will train you as well as how responsive they are to YOU. Canned programs should take a hike immediately. Find out about their philosophy of service.

    Let me know if you need any help. Even if you decide to be self coached, I am always willing to be a sounding board. When I started in triathlon my friends helped me a great deal and believe we should pass it on.

    Cheers,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete