Monday, January 5, 2009

Starting Over

Didn't get to the redesign of this blog site...soon, I promise.

Today is my first off day since 12/24/08. Seems like a long time. I'm glad to have today off because it is the "first real day" at the gym and I just don't want to see the New Year's resolution people just yet. Seems odd that today is the first day that I've had a chance to look around at my own training and really assess myself.

While everyone has been racing, training, dreaming of races; for the last 18 months, I have been hurt and recovering. One of the worst kind of injuries - I can train in the water and on the bike but not run. Training takes on a totally different tone when there is no final exam. Kind of like reading a book. If you are reading for school you are highlighting and making notes; reading for fun, I am blitzing through the book.

In the pool, I've had a minor setback. Some bicep tendinitis in my left shoulder has kicked me to the swim bench. I am going to have one hell of a powerful pull but I need to get into the water. Tomorrow, I am going to just kick and breathe in the pool.

On the bike, things are starting to come together. This winter I am a "runner who really likes triathlon" versus the crazy man on the bike. I'm not sure about this strategy as far as my riding goes but Coach Jeff and I both know that I need to drop the weight I put on being injured and the fastest way to lose it is running. I'm doing most workouts with some PowerCrank involvement and in the aerobars. I've changed my position to a more powerful one on the bike. Racing mainly OLY races this year I am looking to squeeze out a few more watts.

Running, wow. I have no idea what to expect. My main reason is that I'm running a ton right now but still weigh too much and it is killing me. I just re-set my heart rates and this week I'll be running in the right zones for sure. I'm doing a lot of miles right now and not seeing the results thus far. I'll give is another month before I get antsy as I am running big numbers for sure.

Weight room is great. I'm pushing big weights and seeing change. At least I'll be strong if not fit. A lot of folks will jump on this and tell me "You don't need weights". Actually, I do. I tried to "slim down" by doing light weight routines and all it did for me is make me flabby and lose power. If having a 44 athletic jacket type chest (boarder line C cup) is bad then I'll deal with it. I swam breaststroke and IM in college and my pecs aren't going away any time soon.

Diet...yep, I'm counting calories and eating right for the first time since 2003 in a program that was developed by a US Navy biochemist who is also a great triathlete. It worked for me then...it will work now. July, 2003 Lake Placid, I weighed in at 157 lbs.. I am far above that right now...far, far, far above that. 58 lbs. higher. 215.2 - some from injury. Most from being lazy. It looks awful on me and drastic measures and controls are now in place.

I know I won't be perfectly ready for St. Anthony's in April but let's see what I can do in the 74 days before training camp. I'm even in a Gatorade Sport Science Institute study which will be a nasty one.

Bottom line: I'm starting over. I'm even re-reading my training logs from 1998 - 2003 to see what I did when things were clicking. I got lucky in 2005 with a strong overall placing in Ironman Wisconsin but that was because I race smartly and not because of fitness. I beat a ton of people that day who were far more fit than I was.

This renewed self honesty and some rediscovered hard rock and I'm on my way.

4 comments:

  1. STAY the course, Bob...it is a tough road in the beginning, but all the hard work and dedication WILL pay off! I'll be routing for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jen! Having a deadline on these goals really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll get back into shape together! Targeting some decent speed by August / September-- so no rush to be fast on my end either. And running consistently is the way to go.

    P.S. I was a breastroker / IM'er back in the day as well. 200 brst and 400 IM were favs. I think I would have been more competitive if there were longer distance breastroke races. I wouldn't dare dream of an IM longer than 400. That would be insane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you can do it! Let's go!
    Tamirra

    ReplyDelete