Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Random Thoughts

The Job Market
Sorry to be away for nearly a week. I've been getting my resume on various job boards, talking to recruiters and networking. It seems several things are happening in the market.

A) There are a lot of jobs out there for the right skill set. Most companies don't know where to look for these skill sets and don't know what to do with them once they have them.

B) Companies are laying off employees just below the requirement to report them legally so their stock prices don't take a dive.

I believe the number is 30. Lay off 30 and you have to report it. What I'm seeing is that companies are laying folks off in bunches of 25 -29. Sneaky.

Corporate Anarchy
I got a call from the director of Wellpoint "ethics and compliance" yesterday asking my why I didn't complete my "conflicts of interest" form. Actually, I did finish it and send it in. 10 minutes before Wellpoint (WLP) layed me off. In Oracle you get an employee number. My number and all functionality associated with my number...is disabled. Looks like somebody jumped the gun on laying me off.

Meanwhile, back at corporate HQ we still can't find a program manager to manage resources and projects that are causing millions pain. Hmmm, I know where they can find one. Except you have to email me at home because my work email doesn't connect to the corporate feeding tube. Critical, budgeted for projects are getting cancelled or put on hold and the entire budget process I worked on 80 hrs a week only three months ago...up in smoke.

ALS Ride a thon
Same old. Same old. Media isn't interested unless they have a family member who had ALS and they can relate. I don't have family with ALS but I do have one with MS. I can relate which is why I am involved I guess. Many folks are still moths - looking for that reality show and that 15 minutes of fame. The real work is on the ground...person to person. As triathletes go...I guess we'll get more interest when they personally feel ALS as triathletes and endurance athletes are the #1 group of ALS victims and growing fast. Last year, 15 people I have raced against died of ALS; ranging from 28 to 68. That is a lot of folks. Still no research as to why...this is why we do the event. To find out why and end this disease which has lingered too long.

My Friend with the Brain Tumor
She is still in a drug induced coma. Blonde hair gone. Wedding on hold. Competing in Ironman Hawaii (earned in 2008) is also on hold. Surgery was last Friday and things appear to be OK; other than the giant scar on her head and no hair. Her fiance has not left her bedside in eight days. Not to eat. Workout. Work.

Village CycleSport www.villagecyclesport.com
Vince (one of the owners) called me yesterday and said I could work at the shop while I'm finding a gig. (My last day at my job is 2/13/09 - yes...Friday the 13th. Who says corporations don't have a sense of humor?) I gotta tell you I feel blessed that Vince and Joe would think enough of me to come work at the shop(s). I probably will be working for them. Great people at the shop. I'm there until I can get a full time gig. I'm thinking Vince and Joe probably won't offer me $100k +, a bonus and stock. I'm just spit ballin' but I'm fairly certain. That's OK. They got my loyalty and I'll do whatever I can to help the shop grow into it's great expanding footprint.

Workouts
At least I have running and cycling. I am near a return to the water. I can just about tell you how many ounces are on the swim bench these days. Sick of looking at cement walls instead of a black line. Power numbers look ok. So does the weight. One is trending up, the other down.

Keep your head up everyone. Keep on the edge. Motivation comes from within and if you cannot find your motivation...call me. I'll help you find yours.

2 comments:

  1. Okay, wow, I am just floored by everything your wrote. How are things going? I have so many friends/families I know let go from work, and from really good jobs like yours. Plans? That's awesome you are training hard, and more impressive you are fundraising still. And, for the person with cancer? Best wishes that is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, wow, I am just floored by everything your wrote. How are things going? I have so many friends/families I know let go from work, and from really good jobs like yours. Plans? That's awesome you are training hard, and more impressive you are fundraising still. And, for the person with cancer? Best wishes that is heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete