Friday, January 2, 2009

Measurements

You cannot change that which you cannot measure.

A QUICK READERS NOTE: There will be change coming this weekend to this blog. As Polar heart rate monitors pulled the rug out from under the amateur team it sponsored last March, I have decided to change the URL on my blog. I'll make it easy on you when I do change it.

Comcast Cable and HBO have a special on John Wooden. I am a huge fan of Wooden the man aka, "The Wizard of Westwood" who coached UCLA during an amazing string of wins and growth during a very difficult time in the US. He had some simple rules and most importantly he expected the best from his guys every day. Even when they defeated a team by 40 points, if they didn't do their best Coach Wooden would be upset. There are several quotes which I'll share but the most important thing to understand is that YOUR BEST needs to be an honest measurement of YOU.

"Find out what we are capable of, and if we can find out what that is and have peace in our heart in this area we will be happy with the results."

So last night and this morning started the measurements, many not so pretty. My reason is being human and undisciplined at times. The times, they are a changin'. 1/1/09 was the last day of eat and drink whatever the hell you want and not record it. Now, its on paper (or bytes as it is in my PC).

I know what I am capable of and I'm not even close to that right now. That's OK, only in that there has to be progress to where I desire to go. Most blogs are lip service and bull shit about what we should be doing in our lives and community. This blog and I are not that guy. I'll be telling you the struggles I have. Namely, I can eat. I like to cook and I'm not ashamed to say...I'm damn good at it. I'm not some eating disordered triathlete, which means I have to workout a lot and stick to a strict calorie and balanced diet regimen. I'll never be 135 lbs. like some of my friends - not unless I'm physically tied down and kept away from food or sick. I carry far more power than it looks like. I'm more like a 160 lbs. kinda guy (in shape). So for that extra 30 lbs. - I gotta make them count like body blows in a fight. I FTP test soon. That should say a lot. So did the scale recently...a lot.

Even at this obese (according to the government) weight I feel fine running at 164 heart rate. Too high, I know, to be beneficial in endurance training but I understand that is a good sign that the athlete in me just needs consistency.

So if you fail to reach me...look in the gym, trail or basement. I'm working out.

"Success is peace of mind which is a direct result of self satisfaction in knowing you did your best to become the best that you are capable of becoming."

1) No whining
2) No complaining
3) No excuses

2 comments:

  1. No...no sponsors for 2009 yet other than Village CycleSport, Runner's High 'n Tri, and Body Werks Physical Therapy.

    ReplyDelete