Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Dude, You have a Problem

Some social commentary today.

This morning I overslept and woke up a 5:21 AM. I am out of bed normally at 4:15 AM. (ouch babe) I've done this most of my life but don't confuse me with a morning person...ever. I can workout and function fine at most times of the day. Between 2:30 AM and 4:00 AM however, my body doesn't like to do much as I have found in a few over night and 24 hour ultra races. I have permission for an "easy day" but I'm going to stick to the plan. I will be tired for the FTP test but who cares; its only pain and my FTP results won't be awesome anyway. I'm expecting to be around 200-225 depending on how tired I am Thursday night....back to the story.

I'm driving to work at 6:40 AM in Lake Barrington. Four cars in front of me a guy in a Tahoe pulls his car into the middle of IL Route 59 and gets out after blocking both south and north bound traffic. He is clearly wasted. About three long minutes later, a Lake County Sheriff shows up and puts the man into his car and moves the Tahoe. I was speaking to another sheriff on the scene and he said that any time of day, any day of the week, 1:7 drivers are so wasted on alcohol, drugs (both Rx and illicit) that they cannot speak their own name. He said, "Think about it. People have different work schedules. Your morning commute is their happy hour." The next thing he said didn't surprise me as much. Between the hours of 10:30 and 3:30 AM, seven days a week (but somehow worse on weekends), 1:3 drivers is DUI of something. Scary.

I don't think I'll ever understand that mentality. I just hope my family, friends and readers never experience it either.

No comments:

Post a Comment