Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Good Bye 2008

2008 will go down as an important year.

Family:
My family celebrated the lives of 14 people. Yes, we lost 14 people this year. While sad, in my opinion you have a choice. Feel sorry for yourself and make other people and yourself miserable or open your heart and become greater for having that person in your life. Sure, we are sad that these people are not in our lives anymore and we don't get to see them, but now they are in our hearts. I try to be as great as my grandmothers would like me to be every day. I fail most days, but she smiles on me anyway. Its the honest trying that counts.

2009 will likely continue in this pattern as my aunts and uncles (and I) continue to get older. Yesterday, I learned that my last remaining grandmother (90) has lost her ability to swallow food. To be technical about it, that ain't good. She's a tough lady but she still needs food.

On the positive side, we've enjoyed watching our niece grow and start talking and walking. Who knows, maybe in 2009 she'll get a cousin.

Politics:
What a year! Bush has been a lame duck...well, for what seems like two years now. We got great rhetoric from Obama, let's hope for eveyone's sake he can unite people like he seemed to do in the electoral process. His cabinet is pretty moderate - usually a good sign. Ultimately, he'll be judged on how he gets this country moving again after the strip mining of the USA by Bush and Cheney.  (That coming from a moderate who leans right.)  Chicago/IL politics were typical - poly = meaning many; ticks = blood suckers...we live in a sewer of political figures here and we need massive turnover in our political figures. 

Sport/Triathlon:
It was a great sports year, most of it I watched from my couch or a motorcycle on a triathlon course.  Watching a kid I swam with for an hour in Baltimore win eight gold medals was simply amazing.  Watching a 40 year old win a silver...priceless.

School: 
Yes, school will be starting again at the University of Notre Dame's Mendoza School of Business.  Let's hope my grammar checker allows me to know the difference between loose and lose or it may be a short and expensive lesson.

Career: 
For the second time in my life I am at a job that is way more than a job.  What a treat to finally be somewhere and work 12 hours and then say, "Wow, I can't believe I've been here 12 hours!  Did I eat today?"

Here's to a great 2009!  Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

  1. Fun to find your blog! What are you going to be studying at Notre Dame? Best wished for 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll continue to hope and pray for that cousin, for a healthy, happy, prosperous 2009 and the continued correct spelling of "lose"! Happy New Year Uncle Bob!
    XOXO
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bob! Nice catching up today! thanks for the information - I will call them tomorrow.
    HAPPY 2009 to you and Lori!

    ReplyDelete