Monday, November 17, 2008

A Bit of Revolution and Chaos is Good

"Revolutionary moments attract those who are not good enough for established institutions as well as those who are too good for them." George Bernard Shaw

Businesses fail...or should be allowed to fail; when management is poor. Sure there will be large circumstances - but change is good. A failing company or industry should fail. Otherwise, how will people be forced to change? Executives get their golden parachutes. Rank and file have career changes or suffer with the industry until real change occurs. Meanwhile, nothing changes out of necessity. You know necessity "the mother of invention."

In triathlon, when we fail we do so at a race. The lights on and lots of eyes watching. That's where you learn. When we fail. I learned more in my one failed race in 2008 than I did in all of 2006 and 2007 combined.

What if I got a "bailout" like industry? What if I got a ride with a wink and a nod from the gal running ice out to the mile 4 turn around at the FL 70.3? "Don't worry everyone won't know we gave you aid." Would I learn? Would I change? Doubtful. The pain of failure - walking 8.1 miles in the heat and humidity for all to see back in May was horrible. I finished. The confidence and ego damage as well as being humbled by injury was something terrible. But it has a fire under me to prepare for the 2009 version of the FL 70.3 like never before. I don't know if I'll do any better. I could turn an ankle on lap one of the run through the swamp they make the run go through (the FL 70.3 is really an Xterra type run on trail versus roads - in a hot and humid (no wind) environment)...but that is out of my control. What I can control is how fit and tough I am to attack the race. A re-newed mental toughness. Kind of what our country needs. Example? Did you know that season one of Sesame Street is being sold with a parental warning? I quote: "Cookie Monster eats too many cookies to sustain good health." Ya think? "Oscar the Grouch exhibits passive aggressive behavior patterns." Say it ain't so?

Airlines, automobile, securities and savings, executives and triathletes...let them fail.

Change? Yeah...we need change. In our people.

No comments:

Post a Comment