Thursday, September 4, 2008

The Magic of Bluetooth

In Chicago it is illegal to drive anything and talk on a mobile phone. I think this law should be enacted nationwide.

This morning I saw four - count 'em - one, two, three, four accidents (read: crashes) caused by people driving while not paying attention. All four were using a mobile with one hand on the wheel and all were apparently not smart enough to do two things at once.

Through the magic of bluetooth technology - you can have a headset in one ear and talk to someone on the phone, voice dial, make notes in your smart phone...everything while keeping both hands and eyes on the wheel and road. Now having a conversation while driving also could be challenging for these Darwin Award candidates but it improves the odds.

Yesterday, the best was a jackhole on the phone while in a group ride, in the dark at 9:30 pm when I left my office. I understand that there are street lights here in Deerfield but if you really need to be on the phone leave the peleton and stop riding - for all of us. How do you ride and talk on the phone? Dumb.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who would say this, get a bluetooth or don't answer your phone, you're not that important.

No comments:

Post a Comment