Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Clean House and New Paint = A Changed Attitude

This summer has been rough.

Happy with who I am and my family and coaching (and coaching clients) but the furthest thing from in my athletic endeavors and career. Last week was bottoming out as an athlete for perhaps the second time since college; and if you know me at all - that is pretty low.

I haven't seen a pool since July. I just found the YMCA which is 3.3 miles from work - no excuses anymore.

My bike has been getting steady work, but as Normann Stadler once said, "I have no power!" It is hard to have any power tugging 198 lbs. along. I forgot to "weigh in" this Monday so I'll have to do it tomorrow.

Running is new again for me. I feel like I'm starting over and I sort of am. I'll be doing a stress test and full physical tomorrow with blood work and everything. Then in a week or so - bod pod (for body composition) and a VO2 max test for the Gatorade Sports Science Institute to see if I qualify to be in a particular study. Let's just say this is going to be a very tough day.

Weights - I hear they have them and I am looking forward to using them.

Vision Quest - I have a call into Robbie Ventura and am trying to work with them. Who knows what the upside is there for me as I have used my Computrainer for mostly long rides and not to train power - something that I have but it is just raw ability versus any training.

A New Rack (bed) - Lorrie and I broke down and went to get a new bed. One of those "sleep number" jobs where you dial in your number and sleep like a baby. Right now...I feel like I sleep more comfortably on cement with a towel under me.

A New Paint Job - All this started with a new paint job to a few rooms. As we make our way around the house, I am finding that my attitude is changing to be more aggressive in changing things I don't like around me. It started with painting the first room...then a second. Now a third. Our downstairs bathroom is more of a Earth tone. The upstairs "Sun and Sand" with pictures of Hawaii, sand and shells from the Caribbean and a Surf Shop sign.

More than just the house is starting to get put into order.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have been BUSY BUSY, Bob!!! Glad you are getting back into the swing of things! :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete