Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A Run with Jon and Aimee

I went for a run this morning.  My mind had me thinking of Jon Blais and Aimee Chamernick.  Jon died of ALS and Aimee is currently a patient.  Of course they weren't there, but my mind flew through all of the conversations I've had with both of them.  We ran aerobic pace and just talked about everything we had talked about in the past.  The run flew by.

I'm not sure why my mind went "there" to be honest.  Maybe it is the Olympics and the upcoming men's race with Matt Reed.   A great guy (I'm told) - I know two people who know him well - his father-in-law and Tony Kowalczyk.  I hope Matt wins.  A lot of the NBC guys there know about Jon Blais and I am hoping they talk about ALS a bit when they talk about Matt.  I have the Olympic "jones" worse than the Tour de France jones.  If I could watch all 3500 hours I would.

I've been wavering on if I should or shouldn't compete in the Chicago Triathlon.  Honestly, my form (except for cycling) is embarrassing but I am healed from my injury and have enough "in the tank" to finish.  My 40 extra lbs. in the middle not withstanding - that's what happens when you work 14 hrs a day and don't really run for a year in my house.  My "abs" weigh half as much as an Olympic gymnast.  Then I thought about Jon and Aimee.  For some reason, I think I'm supposed to TRY the Chicago Triathlon this year.  I don't know why.  I just am.  My form next year will be entirely different, but that is September's problem (and beyond).  I won't be fast or even competitive but that won't be the point.  The point will be to run with my friends in my head and ignore the spectacle of 8000+ "triathletes".

It will just be a run with Jon and Aimee.

1 comment:

  1. Nicely said Bob. Sometimes we need to forget about performance and pace and just celebrate the fact that we can be there at all. Jon and Amiee are damn proud of you!

    ReplyDelete