Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Whine in the Iron

Check out Elizabeth's blog today...I couldn't agree more.

In my first half ironman - temps were well over 100 F.
In my first ironman - winds reached 75 mph, swells in the Pacific were 8', and the heat index
hit 105.
In my first ultra swim (in high school) - we started the 9.2 mile race with 3' white caps.
In the 1999 Chicago Triathlon, the guy in front of me took the Kona slot (beat me by 11 seconds) when in the shortened swim (waves in the harbor - boo frickin' hoo) - in the shortened swim I beat him by 3:30.

That's why they call it IRON...man.

Read Elizabeth's blog and harden up, don't show up, or shut up.

2 comments:

  1. Oh yes! Elizabeth and I have been exchanging emails back and forth about this for awhile. I was very disappointed at worlds (WORLDS!) that they cut the swim. I really didn't think it was THAT bad, but we /they have to think about everyone (Awald, 70+ athletes, etc), so of course I understand the bigger picture..but then Hyvee is changed to a Duathlon (of course National disastor area!), but it is no fun! :) Jen H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have been really pissed off if I went to Kona and got good conditions. The fact that the year I raced Kona has been called "the toughest conditions" in race history is a badge of honor.

    I did a 12:53 in 8 foot swells, 75 mph headwinds and 105 F heat index. My ironman badge was forged in the heat and wind from Pele.

    ReplyDelete