Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Little Perspective from Bill Bell

Yesterday I was walking between a lot of buildings at work and was listening to some podcasts from Competitor Radio.  CR is a San Diego radio show that features interviews and news from the triathlon world done by Ironman legends Bob Babbit and Paul Huddle.  

One interview I listened to (twice) was with Bill Bell.  I met Bill and his wife in Lubbock, TX and then again in Kona in 2000.  He is a really great guy and reminds me of some of my older family members.  Bill is still racing at 85 and is re-defining "age groups".  When I first started racing the age groups "ended" at Men 60+ and Women 55+.  Last year in Kona there were 30 men in the 75-79 age group and 6 women in the 70-74 age group.  Bob McKeague (who we see on Thursday nights at Village CycleSport) is still racing the 70.3 series at 84 after finishing Kona at 81 - the oldest finisher ever.

Listen to Bill Bell's perspective on racing and living in this interview.  

http://www.comptitorradio.com/details.php?show=193

Long live the Irongents!

No comments:

Post a Comment