Thursday, May 29, 2008

Canadians Summit Everest!


Some of you may know that recently (in the last year or so) the thought of going to the top of Mt. Everest has entered my mind as my next challenge after one more Ironman. I follow the blogs and internet radio on climbing very closely. Here is some great news from Canada!
The summit is more than five miles high - as high as a jet liner cruising altitude.
Congratulations guys! WOW!
Check out this site from some guys I met at Ironman Canada:
B.C. men join elite with Everest climb
Catherine Rolfsen, Vancouver Sun Published: Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Two B.C. climbers reached the summit of Mount Everest on Sunday, marking the achievement of their goal to climb the highest peaks on each of seven continents.

With their climb to the top of the world's highest mountain, Brian Jones, 47, of Squamish, and Sebastien Sasseville, 28, of Vancouver, joined the ranks of fewer than 200 climbers who have completed the seven summits.

Jones' sister Laurie Jones said the family got word at 9:30 a.m. Nepal time that the group had made it to camp after the ascent.

2 comments:

  1. That's right - this IS the time of year for people to make their Everest attempts. One of my favorite authors is Joe Simpson (Touching the Void, Dark Shadows Falling, The Beakoning Silence, Storms of Silence) - because not only does he climb mountains, but he challenges his readers to THINK (see your excellent post below). I enjoy reading and THINKING about the values, morals, and ethics of mountaineering and climbing, AND the endeavors of the human spirit.

    Another great read - "The Climb" by Anatoli Boukreev (killed Dec 25 on Anapurna). Finally - really interesting autobiography by Ed Viesterus (part of the IMAX crew during the Everst disaster of 1996) "No Shortcuts to the Top" about his attempts at all 14 8,000 meter peaks... what else???

    Oh yes - and "Savage Summit" by Jennifer Jordan - about 5 of the 6 women who have summited K2. Very very good read -

    So yes, I enjoy reading... would love to give it a try some day,... but want to do it from the grass roots level. IE work my way up, learn how to climb and then tackle bigger challenges. KInd of like learning HOW to ride a bike before biking up Ventoux (which is also something I would love to do).

    Send me an email if you want a few great books sent your way...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you! I need to try the climbing wall at Lifetime before I think about Everest eh?

    Looks cool though!

    One of the guys I am riding with tomorrow rode Mt. Ventoux when Lance won his 5th or 6th (I forget)...I loaned him my wheel safe for the trip to France and he got me a finish line banner from the time trial up Alpe d' Huez. It is in my indoor bike room (AKA: basement).

    Bob

    ReplyDelete