Monday, March 10, 2008

Good Luck to Ken Tarr, Patriot, Triathlete, Marine, Great Guy

This is a guy I am proud to call my friend, Ken Tarr. Ken is from Pennsylvania. He graduated from the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD. That's where I met him and coached him to PR performances in collegiate nationals and then to a great first Ironman where he was 4th in his age group. (Remember that at this Ironman Wisconsin...only ~200 people went under 12 hours of the 2100 who finished.) I was right behind Ken...a bathroom break separated us on the marathon. In training there are only TWO guys who have shown discipline beyond all others Ken Tarr and another Navy guy Tommy Brown (a referral from Ken). Tommy raced pro last year and is now in training for UDT (underwater demolition) in Florida.

After graduation, he has a 5 year commitment to the US military. He was accepted to the US Marine Corps. as an officer. Ken and his team of enlisted men head off to Iraq next week. They will sleep in an Iraqi police building, work with sheiks twice their age and generally will be in harms way.

So while we "toil" in the world of triathlon, I ask that you keep Ken and his team in your thoughts and all of our neighbors/family in the military. Don't ever forget for a moment that it is because of guys like Ken that we get to play in the triathlon sandbox. I am not worried about Ken as he is every bit an Ironman and way tougher than "just" an Ironman.

I'm looking forward to the day when I can coach Ken again...in Kona.

No comments:

Post a Comment