Thursday, February 28, 2008

Indoor Cycling "Advice" from a Pro on Xtri

Take a look at this article on Xtri.com.  

http://www.xtri.com/features_display.aspx?rilDReport=4502&CAT=3&xref=xx

If I followed this advice, I'd never be on my bike longer than one hour between October and April.  Now "easy", according to this author, may be zone 1; he doesn't really say.  What is interesting to me is that Xtri.com doesn't have him explain what he means in detail as CompuTrainer is one of the website's sponsors.

I thought this article was at best - poorly written.  I don't know the author, so nothing against the guy but geez this article comes off as arrogant to me.  Maybe I'm just overtired from being on my bike trainer too long.

All winter - every Saturday I am doing 4 hour rides on my CompuTrainer and my cycling times over the past three years reflect that hard work.  My 2:42 half ironman bike time is now a 2:28.  I know that 2:28 isn't something to do cartwheels for - not that I can even do cartwheels - but it is better than 2:42.  My ultimate goal is to be under 5:30 for an Ironman ride; while matching that with my usual solid swim and "bring it home" on the run.  I've heard that "Cycling is a blue collar sport." If you read books on cycling, you know that this time of year the TdF riders are looking at each other to see who rode the most.  Interesting how this article by this "pro" differs in opinion.

Thanks for the advice...pro.

"I'm on my bike 8 hours a day busting my ass."  -- Lance Armstrong



3 comments:

  1. I think I told you this before, I love your posts. They are what a lot of people think but are scared to chat about because there is so much controversy over some of your topics... anyway, it is always good to hear the scoop & you always make me think beyond just riding or just taking a salt tab...
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bob,

    Regarding Polar disbanding the team, why is it important to find another sponsor? I've been on a "sponsored" team before and found it to be more of a distraction that anything else. I can't imagine that Polar would have provided much more than a free heart-rate monitor and some apparel. If you do have to find another team, perhaps you can contact Garmin and persuade them to start one up. FWIW, I think their products are superior anyways.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being on a sponsored team is and isn't important all at once. The benefits as far as the latest heart rate training information has helped me make serious gains these last two years on the bike. I'm still no super star but that information has helped. Secondly, training with a group of Polar athletes helps. I train 98% of the time alone which is very hard. No masters swimming. No track groups...solo except for one bike ride a week. Being on a sponsored team provides the motivation to get my ass moving when I feel low.

    As far as Garmin goes, well...hospitals and cardiac units around the globe (as well as I) disagree with your feeling about Garmin. Polar is the gold/platinum standard in heart rate monitoring and the S3 foot pod works way better than the Garmin that one of my buddies has. He is always asking me how far have we gone and what is our pace.

    ReplyDelete