Monday, January 28, 2008

Are you trying to make change or are you full of it?

Today has been interesting. I've had several folks in my office complaining about different things. Thus far, they are all unwilling to make significant (and uncomfortable) changes that in the longer term will improve their life.

Coming off of the weekend at Jen & Jerome's camp with Spencer...this has put me in a bit of a foul mood.

While working, I am trying to find a long term solution for many projects and project issues. In my training, I have basically tossed my entire season of workouts out the door and will be up late tonight making changes. Changes that will hurt. Changes that will pay off in the long term.

My response..."If you aren't uncomfortable enough to make change. Don't complain about your results." Additionally, if you truly need something...you'll find a way to make it happen. This is when things change from a want to a must.

Quick rant on a certain Chicago Tribune editor who when asked (by another person) to publish an article on the ALS Spin a thon he said, "These guys are just fundraisers right? So what?" He didn't even read the press release or listen to the story. You know...it is editors like you who give the media a bad name. God forbid that we have a news story about two guys who learned about a wrong situation and instead of just sitting on our ass - we did something - a great something; and have stuck to it for several years and counting. I hope this male editor (and his family) never get a disease or find themselves in a situation where they rely on an organization or people outside their family for help...then he'd be a hypocrite. I have a feeling he already is. Coward. You have a chance to change people's lives and you're reaction was "so what".

My fitness (exhibited this weekend) was pathetic. (I'm being kind.) I was housed. Had my clock cleaned. My lunch money stolen. My Wheaties were crapped in.

I'm making real, lasting change. Real change to my workout program. I will spend time in the "hurt box", "see the wizard", "...wearing the mask of pain" and I'll be a new triathlete in 2008.

5 comments:

  1. I liked your post. It made me think of one of Einstein's quotes. He said, "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." It takes an effort to make a change - nice job! THanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yahoo! Right on! Enjoy the "hurt box"... embrace it... and I am excited to read future posts about the pain and your new accomplishments with this super attitude you have going on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't checked in with you for a while....glad you are doing good and still working with ALS. Great cause....keep up the good work and new goals for 2008!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm originally from the Lake Tahoe area and whenever I go home this past year and try and get out and run, it's torture....I think it's between 6500 to 7000 feet in elevation. Yeah, I feel you on that one. I'm quite new to tri's - never done one so that puts me at ground 0 but I'm training and hope to be ready by July for my first tri in London. I like following bloggers who have survived and are improving. Thanks for the insights.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jen -

    Regardless of our experience level and fitness we are all working hard in triathlon. As Greg LeMond once said, "It never gets easier, you just get faster."

    Good luck in London! Post race I highly recommend the Cuban Bar in Picadilly Circus area of town. I used to live in West Hampsted.

    Bob

    ReplyDelete