Friday, September 14, 2007

New Polar Power Meter is Here!

Yesterday I received the new Polar Power Meter (say that 10 time fast). Here is a link to read about it: http://www.polar.fi/polar/channels/eng/segments/Cycling/CS600_Power.html I was looking at an Ergomo until I was picked up by Team Polar two years ago. This new power meter is lighter and wireless (WOOHOO). I'm stoked to get it set up on my bike. This is the same model that was used in preparation and during the Tour de France by Polar's eleven pro cycling teams. (Quick Step, Rabobank, Saunier-Duval, T-Mobile, Francaise De Jeux, Gerolsteiner, Liquigas, Euskatel, Cofidis, Caisse D'Epargne, and Credit Agricole) - some more than others.

I understand the debate about SRM, Ergomo, PowerTap, and Polar. I think the important thing here is that your variables measuring power are constant- meaning you consistent numbers even if my power was 182 watts versus 180 on another system - as long as that 182 is always 182...no worries. So if SRM is "most accurate" great - for $2200 it better be friggin' perfect...always. At $330 retail, it is hard to beat the Polar solution when compared to the competition.
I'll be installing the power meter tonight. I'll let you know how it goes regarding time and degree of difficulty.
Follow Polar's teams in the Vuelta de Espana (Tour of Spain)

Quick Thursday night ride story:
Last night, the sustained power was kicking butt and I felt better as the ride went longer. Everyone was sitting back on one of the sprints (hovering around 31 mph and in a tight bunch). I was on the outside and figured out that everyone was waiting for someone to go. As we got to the mid-way point of the sprint, people were getting "twitchy" and I decided it was time to go. I didn't shift but just raised my cadence to 130 rpms for 30 seconds, got a gap and before the group knew what hit them, I shifted into 54 x 11 and was gone! I finished the sprint with a good 25 yards on the peleton and even the hard core roadies were pating me on the back acknowledging the sprint. Several other sprints had me taking long pulls on the front and even pulled a few guys up to and through the group. Top power from last night...742 watts at 184 HR! Good ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment