Thursday, August 23, 2007

It is big race time...RELAX!

Cute little guy huh? Medical studies have proven recently that viewing or thinking about puppies (or kittens) is calming for 99% of the population easing anxiety, relaxing muscle tension, and lowering blood pressure.

For everyone (except those going to Ironman Hawaii or Ironman Florida) this week and the next few weeks are known around my house as "IRONMAN FREAK OUT MODE". I'm getting calls at all hours (which has forced me to turn off my mobile at 9pm and not turn it on until 8am) with athletes and friends in full blown triathlon/Ironman Freak out psychosis about their upcoming races. It doesn't even have to be an actual Ironman either. The Accenture Chicago Triathlon is this weekend and I have first timers crawling up the walls. I remember how excited I was when I did my first Chicago Triathlon, so I am truly empathetic. I was like a pinball pre-race. Couldn't sleep. Couldn't eat. Couldn't concentrate on anything for more than 60 seconds and I'd start to think about the race again. All wasted energy! Don't stand when you can sit. Don't sit when you can lay down.

I hope that these photos help to calm your nerves and perhaps even get you to grin or say, "Awww."

Remember:

  1. You did the hardest part, you've done the physical training
  2. You prepared mentally
  3. You have had advice from an experienced coach who has set you up to not only have a good race but a fantastic and fun experience
  4. Your family, friends and co-workers (and all their family, friends and co-workers) all know you can do it and are inspired by your drive and determination and next year they will be working to be a triathlete...just like you
  5. All you have to do is show up and keep going until you get to the line

So, relax and be confident in the work you have done. Most people the world over wouldn't have even come this far. If you need to talk...I'd prefer if we talk during reasonable hours! (between 8am and 9pm)

You can do it.

Racing! (notice the smile)

Post race

No comments:

Post a Comment