Tuesday, July 3, 2007

Defining Focus and Success: There is no easy way

I'm a distance animal pure and simple. My best event when I was a swimmer was 200 breaststroke. Example, back when Ronald Reagan was running the show here in the USA I swam at the Illinois State Swimming Championships. I swam 100 meter final in 1:06.12 which was good enough for sixth I believe. Not bad...for those of you kids reading the blog here...this is back when the Earth's crust was still squishy and the World Record was 1:04; don't get too excited because 2 seconds in swimming...might as well clock me with a sun dial. The second day of those same championships...I took out my 200 meter swim in 1:05.95 and holding it to close 3rd place finish in 2:12.99. (I think first was 2:12.46.) This 200 time was function of a significant amount of hard work. 18-20 hour days all summer and then a lot of rest at taper.

The main point is, I was locked in on that 200 final from the day I started training. All other events didn't mean a thing. They were just data points in my drive to the State Champs. I have been thinking about why I don't train this way anymore.

We know that athletes will typically crack when their expected results is far from their TRUE PRIMARY GOALS. I find that I set a highly challenging list of goals on several levels of "success". The stress we (I) feel is mainly due to self imposed targets which are based on factors that I cannot control. I've been caught in this for a few years (unfortunately).

I've decided to write down my concern (including risks and issues) and develop a plan for executing on that and in some cases the appropriate action will be to accept that x could occur. My guess is that I'm going to enjoy my training and racing even more as well as progress toward my goals...all of them.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bob,
    Sounds like a great idea...and the "pressure" is always self-imposed, for sure! Can't wait to see your list! Happy 4th!
    Jen Harrison

    ReplyDelete